If you're baking for someone on dialysis, check out our cookbook, "Everyday Eating" for great recipes that keep kidneys in mind like these cream cheese sugar cookies.
Our cookbook makes a great holiday gift! Get your beautiful printed copy by contacting our office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312-321-1500.
Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies
1 cup sugar
1 cup margarine or butter, softened
3 oz cream cheese, softened
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. almond extract
½ tsp. vanilla
1 egg yolk (reserve white)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1. In large bowl, combine sugar, margarine, cream cheese, salt, almond extract, vanilla, and egg yolk; blend well.
2. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Stir in flour until well blended.
3. Chill dough 1 - 2 hours.
4. Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
5. Shape dough into ½ inch balls and flatten as thin as possible between lightly floured hands. To give a corrugated effect, score in parallel lines with a fork dipped in flour OR on lightly floured surface, roll out dough, one-third at a time, to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with lightly floured cookie cutters.
6. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
7. Leave cookie plain or if desired, brush with a slightly beaten egg white and sprinkle with colored sugar.
8. Bake at 375°F for 7 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown.
9. Cool completely. Frost and decorate plain cookies, if desired.
Makes: 60 cookies (serving is 1 cookie)
Per serving: Calories 60, Protein 1 g, Sodium 50 mg,
Potassium 5 mg, Phosphorus 7 mg