Walk for Kidneys Fundraising Teams Honored with Community Leadership Award
October 23, 2014
This year's Walk for Kidneys, held on June 22, 2014 at Soldier Field, raised more than $227,000 in support of the programs and initiatives of the National Kidney Foundation of Illinois. This marks an increase over 2013 of nearly $64,000, in large part due to the incredible efforts of several families and fundraising teams.
Tuesday night, the National Kidney Foundation of Illinois Board of Directors hosted a private reception to honor and recognize those walk teams and their incredible efforts. This year's Community Leadership Awards were given to teams who went above and beyond with both their awareness and fundraising activities. Combined, these five teams accounted for more than 25% of the dollars raised at Walk for Kidneys.
- Team Kure for Katlin walked in honor of Katlin Koth, a brave kidney disease patient who has enlisted her family’s support network and joined Walk for Kidneys just two years ago. At a young age, Katlin was diagnosed with a rare disorder that causes kidney disease. Although Katlin is only 11 years old, she doesn’t let that get in her way! Her team raised more than $6,000 at this year’s Walk for Kidneys!
- Team Associates in Nephrology (AIN) supports Walk for Kidneys as a sponsor and a leading fundraising team, bringing in more than $10,000 this year. They further the mission of the National Kidney Foundation of Illinois by encouraging all of their doctors to support the event and share information about it with their patients. A special thank you goes out to Charlotte Chapple, Erica Petro, and Natalie Gallegos for leading the AIN team this year.
- Team Izzywalkeez was formed in honor of Izabelle Cary. Izzy was born with one kidney and at just 11 days old, began receiving dialysis treatments. She has been fighting for her health ever since. In 2008, the Cary family became involved with Walk for Kidneys and for the past 6 years, Team Izzywalkeez has been one of the largest teams and leaders in fundraising. This year’s team raised more than $12,000 to support the programs and services offered throughout Illinois. Thank you to Izzy’s parents, Jeremy and Lisa Cary, and Izzy’s Aunt Shana, who also plan a large fundraiser each year to support their team's efforts.
- Team Baxter has supported Walk for Kidneys for 15 years. Additionally, Baxter has been the Walk for Kidneys Presenting sponsor for many years. The team, lead this year by Joy Prislinger and Liz Sangbusch, began with just 35 walkers and has grown in size reaching as many as 800 walkers! Due to countless meetings and endless work by Joy and Liz, this year’s team raised nearly $13,000 to support the lifesaving programs of the NKFI.
- Team Fresenius Medical Care (FMC), has also been a leading corporate team at Walk for Kidneys for many years. As a consistent sponsor and top team, Team FMC leads the way in fundraising and awareness efforts by promoting the walk in their dialysis centers throughout Illinois. This year’s team, led by Nancy Parod, brought in almost $17,000, making it once again the largest fundraising team at Walk for Kidneys.
These five teams, along with more than 3,500 attendees and countless donors and sponsors, are what make Walk for Kidneys the exciting and successful event that it has come to be known for over the past 15 years. Walk for Kidneys is a day for patients, friends, family members and supporters to come together for one common cause: to improve the health and well-being of people at risk for or affected by kidney disease through prevention, education and empowerment. Thank you to all of our community leaders for making this possible.
About the National Kidney Foundation of Illinois
The National Kidney Foundation of Illinois improves the health and well-being of people at risk for or affected by kidney disease through prevention, education and empowerment. To learn more, please visit www.nkfi.org.