Register Now

Kidney Camp

YMCA Camp Duncan, 32405 North Hwy. 12
Ingleside, Illinois 60041

Sunday, July 15 - Friday, July 20, 2018

This FREE week-long overnight camp in northern Illinois is for kids ages 7-15 who have had organ transplants, are on dialysis or are living with kidney disease.

At Kidney Camp, kids will have the traditional camp experience of fun and adventure. Kidney Camp is a special week of laughter, games and outdoor fun designed for the special needs of your child. Camp will involve many fun activities like swimming and water activities, a high ropes course, archery, hiking, horseback riding, arts and crafts, mountain biking and more, all while being supervised by medical professionals familiar with their needs, available 24 hours per day.

We hope you'll allow your child this unique opportunities to attend summer camp in a safe environment that enables them to receive their treatment and enjoy this incredible experience at the same time! It's not only a memory that your child will cherish forever, but it also has the potential to change their life.

Transportation will be provided from downtown Chicago to Camp Duncan.  If you plan to attend the Walk for Kidneys, the shuttle will pick children up from Soldier Field. 

Read what families are saying about their experience at Kidney Camp:

As I'm sitting here preparing the kids for school and winding down the summer I am reflecting back on what my kids have done this summer. There are many fun things that pop into my mind but for Justice there is one significant thing, and that was Camp Duncan. I realize that I have not yet thanked those who made it possible for her to go there. THANK YOU! The opportunity truly changed Justice this summer. She came back with so much more independence and confidence.  The opportunity that the National Kidney foundation of IL and YMCA Camp Duncan have provided for her is nothing short of amazing. She had so many stories to tell us and many friendships that will last through the years.  As a parent of a transplant patient I never thought that I would be willing to send her away for a week without worrying about her medication and health. The first time I talked to you on the phone I felt so comfortable. Then meeting you I knew she was in great hands! Nancy you are truly amazing for helping to provide this experience for kids and families. I couldn't begin to thank you enough. You have provided something for my child, along with many others that they will never forget!  Thank you for all you have done!
- Melissa B

To learn more about Kidney Camp, contact Megan Craig at or (312) 321-1500.

Event Details

Sunday, July 15 - Friday, July 20, 2018

YMCA Camp Duncan

32405 North Highway 12
Ingleside, Illinois 60041

YMCA Camp Duncan is a coed summer resident camp in Ingleside near Fox Lake, Illinois, 50 miles northwest of Chicago. Situated on nearly 300 acres of land, Camp Duncan features modern facilities, outstanding programs, and an experienced, caring staff.  The camp offers a high ropes course, swimming, horseback riding, archery, arts and crafts, hiking, mountain biking and more.

Learn more about Camp Duncan!

Transportation will be provided from downtown Chicago to Camp Duncan.  If you plan to attend the Walk for Kidneys, the shuttle will pick children up from Soldier Field. 

Campers Outside of Illinois

A note for campers traveling from outside of Illinois, on dialysis.

Will my insurance cover treatment during travel?
If Medicare is your primary insurance coverage, Medicare will pay for 80 percent of your treatment costs within the U.S. and its territories. You will be responsible for the remaining 20 percent not covered by Medicare. If you have secondary insurance, it may cover this 20 percent. However, you may have to pay this 20 percent "up front" and bill your insurance later. Check with the transient center about their policy on this. Most state Medicaid programs will not pay for treatment outside of your home state.

If you have commercial insurance as your primary insurance, you may need to request a letter from your insurance company stating they will pay for your treatment at the transient dialysis center. Some commercial insurance will pay for dialysis outside of the U.S. Transient dialysis centers will often call and verify this coverage themselves. Be sure to allow enough planning time to make these arrangements.

A doctor's fee may also be charged by the transient dialysis center. Be sure to ask what portion of this charge will be your responsibility.



Generous support from foundations and individuals allow kidney kids to enjoy a summer camp experience without having to worry about the expense. All kids attend Kidney Camp completely free of charge! To make a fully tax deductible donation, please click here

For more information on available sponsorship opportunities, please call (312) 321-1500 or email Lena Clement at

Tags: patient